The Student Voice Australia pilot is a collaboration between ten tertiary education institutions to build and implement practices to facilitate authentic student engagement through partnership in institutional decision making and governance. The project aims to develop and sustain a culture of student partnership in the sector nationally.
The 12 month pilot is jointly funded through an agreement between:
- Charles Sturt University
- Curtin University
- Flinders University
- Holmesglen Institute
- La Trobe University
- University of Adelaide
- University of New England
- University of New South Wales
- University of the Sunshine Coast
- University of Technology Sydney
This Pilot to will continue to build capacity around the Principles for Student Engagement for Australian Tertiary Institutions (STEPUP for Quality Enhancement) developed through sector wide collaboration facilitated by Australian Learning and Teaching Fellow, Professor Sally Varnham.
We will do this by:
Building a culture of authentic student engagement within our institutions
- Reviewing current student engagement practice and student representative structures across institutions to set priorities for future focus through Institutional Analysis Workshops.
- Developing shared standards to further articulate, benchmark and embed the STEPUP Principles.
- Assisting institutions in developing Student Partnership Agreements outlining how students and staff work in partnership to enhance the student experience.
- Supporting the development of institution wide student representative structures.
Building capacity of Student Representatives
- Developing training modules and good practice guidelines for student representatives within institutions, including students on institutional governance bodies.
- Hosting a Student Voice Summit inviting student representatives to come together to workshop authentic student partnership approaches and strengthen their own capacity to work in partnership within their institutions and with sector agencies.
Learning from each other at a national level
- Facilitating a Practitioner Network for staff who work with student representatives to share good practice, discuss national issues, and provide collegial support and guidance.
- Facilitating a Student Partner Network for students involved in student staff partnerships.
- Bringing staff and students together for the Student Voice Australia Symposium to showcase the achievements of the Pilot and share good practice in student engagement from across our Australian institutions.